Skip to main content

A4: Grid Art


Diabetes Symbol



For my grid art I created the diabetes symbol using expired and or used diabetic supplies that I had. I thought that it was be cool to create the symbol out of supplies used for the disease it is advocating for. My reference image was used as more or less a general guideline and so the final product looks pretty different. I started off by making an actual grid on a poster board using yellow sticky notes that were about 2 x 1.5 inches - and after creating the grid I ended up cutting it to a size where it fit snugly inside a flat box (for safety and movability reasons). The art itself was constructed outside of the box. The first three rows were made by glueing down lancets; the next row is a combination of lancets and transfer guards; the row after that are all needle housings; and the final rows area all pen needles. I painted the lancets that make up the blood drop in the center red, although it dried into a sort of magenta. And I painted the second and third rows blue because  the symbol is a blue circle - but I liked the contrast of the white which is why the first row of the circle I left alone. I had not originally planned to use so many different materials/ supplies but in the beginning of constructing it I over estimated how many lancets and transfer guards I had and ended up having to find more supplies (of similar size) that I could use to fill up the entire grid I had cut out. 


Reference Image (linked to original source)









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A6: Performance Art

For my performance art piece I dressed up in my Spryo the dragon onesie and walked around the park, picking up "treasure" while I played music from the original game through a small speaker attached to my bag. I wanted to do something a bit more fun and humorous and given that Spyro is a pretty iconic/ recognizable character I thought I would be able to get better reactions from other people. Both the music and my actions of picking up gems/treasures were from the original game Spyro the Dragon . Not that many people gave noticeable reactions to my performance, most would smile but then look away very quickly or they would simply ignore me. The best reactions I got came from children and people who seemed to recognize who I was dressed up as. The entire experience was not that much fun for me, I got hot very quickly inside the onesie walking around the park, my view was blocked because of the way the hoodie was designed,  and needless to say it was pretty embarrassing. I

BP1

My name is Ivette, and if you're wondering how that is supposed to be pronounced the answer is nobody knows. I'm Puerto Rican, the youngest of five and the only one out of my siblings not born on the island. I was born and raised in Rhode Island, but my family moved to Florida a few years back. I'm currently a junior and majoring in animation, which is something I've always been really passionate about. I was a terrible person to watch cartoons with as a child as a result of this though. I'm taking the class as part of my degree requirement but a lot of the topics that we will be focusing on in class are topics that I'm already interested in which I thought was cool. I have a bit of an obsession with broadway musicals like Dear Evan Hansen and Hamilton, mostly because of the music/ songs. My expectations for the class are to learn more about art and technology, specifically learning more about how the two subjects operate in relation to one another. I'm

A7: Video Deconstruction

Video Deconstruction: Storytelling For my video deconstruction I took inspiration from The Wayseer Manifesto in how he used a variety of clips to provide a visual to his own manifesto. My deconstruction video centers around certain parts of a TED talk given by Andrew Stanton (a PIXAR director/ producer) and I combined it with various clips from different animated children's movies. I wanted to show that children's movies (specifically animated children's movies) are often a lot deeper and more thought provoking than people tend give them credit for.  Even though all of these movies were created with child audiences in mind, the messages of these stories aren't just limited to children but for all ages and this is the main point that I wanted to get across.