Skip to main content

BP5: Music

With the exception of Nero, all of these are actually artist that I've listened to before prior to the assignment. Although a few of the artists incorporate the use of technology more than the others in their music, all of the artist were chosen on the baseline that within the rhythm/ beat of their music you can tell that  they incorporate sounds made through the use of machines like sound synthesizers, music sequencers, sampler and etc.





Electronic/ DJ: Porter Robinson

Porter Robinson is an American DJ / producer. All of his music is produced through the use of technology which is one of the reasons why I choose him for this category. The second is that the type of music he produces is strangely calming - there is  this melodious sound to it. Which I find super cool especially since a lot of the sounds he uses to construct his music are very robotic and technical sounding. In some of his music it is literally made in a way where it sounds like a robot is singing. But his music is gorgeous and has this consistent calming vibe to it throughout. I chose Porter Robinson's song Shelter as an example for his work because its my favorite song of his, and also because he was actually involved in the production of the short animated film that A-1 Pictures created to go along with his song.





Punk: Paramore

Paramore is technically a rock band, but I feel that a lot of their music slips into/ incorporates other type of genres. So I felt that it could fit into the punk category pretty well. I choose Paramore because they use a lot of 'sound effects' (I think thats the best way to describe it) in their music to add more dramatic emphasis on certain parts. The lead singer's voice is often altered at certain words for this reason as well. The beat of the song also incorporates more unique sounds into the actual music made by the bands instruments that would have required the use of technology to produce. I choose Paramore's song Hard Times because I felt the song was a good example of how they use technology. And also because of the use of effects and filters that they used on the music official video itself.





Dubstep: Nero

Nero is an electronic music group that produce a lot of dubstep, which is why I chose them for this category. I'd never listened to their music (at least not that I'm aware of) prior to this assignment. I've really liked all the songs of theirs that I have listened to so far. The beats, and the lyrics, for their songs are really catchy and has this sort of impact to it (maybe power would be a better word to describe it?). I choose Nero's song Into the Night as their example because I love everything about it, the song and the animated music video are just amazing. I also thought that compared to their other songs it used the most technology, not just with sound but with the actual production of the video to go along with it, and that it was good example of their work to choose.





Latin World:
I feel that Latin World is such a broad category that could have more subcategories added to it. I think that both Spanish and French artists in recent years have started to use a lot more machines (for lack of a better word) to incorporate more unique sounds into the beat/ rhythm of their songs and that enough artists are doing so for Latin World to have the subcategories of Spanish and French within it.  I listed two examples for each subcategory of artists that I find use this type of technology the most frequently within their music.

 >>> Spanish: 
Ozuna

Ozuna is a Puerto Rican (ayyyyeee) reggaeton and latin trap singer. Reggaeton is a genre of music that is basically a fusion of latin rhythms with hip hop and or rap. Latin trap is basically just a Spanish subgenre of hip-hop, and things like synthesizers, rhythmic boxes, and etc are used to create the rhythm. Personally, I feel that Ozuna often incorporates elements of both genres into his music - but throughout all of his songs you can tell, by listening to them, that he consistently uses machines (like in Latin Trap) to create the rhythm of his songs. Which is why I chose him for this category. I choose Ozuna's song Síguelo Bailando as the example of his work mostly because of the music video. The song is a great example of a Spanish artist using technology to create music, but the official music video for the song really takes it over the top. The way the music video was edited and the use of graphics, and the dancing bear - I love it so much.





Chino y Nacho

Chino y Nacho are a duo from Venezuela. I choose them for this category because a lot of their music uses machines to add certain types of beats/ sounds into the rhythm. And it just sounds really nice because the overall beat is this beautiful and very much latin rhythm and they will incorporate this sort of rolling sound effect to build up to certain parts like when one of the singers is about to rap. They also do a lot of collaborations with other Spanish artist and I'm just a big fan. I choose Chino y Nacho's song Andas En Mi Cabeza ft. Daddy Yankee as an example of their work because I felt that it had the most prominent sounding use of the unique beats/sounds. While a lot of their music uses it, it's more subtlety incorporated into the rhythm. I also love the music video.





>>> French: 
Stromae

Stromae is a singer/ song writer from Belgium. I choose him for this category because he does a lot of hip-hop and house songs and he uses technology like synthesizers to help in creating the rhythm. His music itself is really amazing and has such a unique sound to it that goes so well with the way he sings. And the music videos for them are just as amazing, they tend to have this sort of powerful message but in a really abstract way. I chose Stromae's song Papaoutai as an example of his work because one, its my favorite song, and two the song and the music video I feel give a really good representation of what type of artist he is.





Willy William

Willy William is a French DJ/ producer. The rhythms for a lot of his songs are created through the use of some type of technology which is why I chose him for this category. I feel like he gives off this persona of being such an eccentric artist, with his look and just the way his music is, and that works towards his benefit. I choose Willy William's song Ego as an example of his work because I felt that it was the best example out of his work to use as an example of him incorporating technology into his music. I am also obsessed with the music video for this song. The effects themselves were very obviously done through editing and normally I feel like that is something you would criticize but with the its composition and the fact that it was paired with this song makes it so intense and cool.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A6: Performance Art

For my performance art piece I dressed up in my Spryo the dragon onesie and walked around the park, picking up "treasure" while I played music from the original game through a small speaker attached to my bag. I wanted to do something a bit more fun and humorous and given that Spyro is a pretty iconic/ recognizable character I thought I would be able to get better reactions from other people. Both the music and my actions of picking up gems/treasures were from the original game Spyro the Dragon . Not that many people gave noticeable reactions to my performance, most would smile but then look away very quickly or they would simply ignore me. The best reactions I got came from children and people who seemed to recognize who I was dressed up as. The entire experience was not that much fun for me, I got hot very quickly inside the onesie walking around the park, my view was blocked because of the way the hoodie was designed,  and needless to say it was pretty embarrassing. I

BP1

My name is Ivette, and if you're wondering how that is supposed to be pronounced the answer is nobody knows. I'm Puerto Rican, the youngest of five and the only one out of my siblings not born on the island. I was born and raised in Rhode Island, but my family moved to Florida a few years back. I'm currently a junior and majoring in animation, which is something I've always been really passionate about. I was a terrible person to watch cartoons with as a child as a result of this though. I'm taking the class as part of my degree requirement but a lot of the topics that we will be focusing on in class are topics that I'm already interested in which I thought was cool. I have a bit of an obsession with broadway musicals like Dear Evan Hansen and Hamilton, mostly because of the music/ songs. My expectations for the class are to learn more about art and technology, specifically learning more about how the two subjects operate in relation to one another. I'm

A7: Video Deconstruction

Video Deconstruction: Storytelling For my video deconstruction I took inspiration from The Wayseer Manifesto in how he used a variety of clips to provide a visual to his own manifesto. My deconstruction video centers around certain parts of a TED talk given by Andrew Stanton (a PIXAR director/ producer) and I combined it with various clips from different animated children's movies. I wanted to show that children's movies (specifically animated children's movies) are often a lot deeper and more thought provoking than people tend give them credit for.  Even though all of these movies were created with child audiences in mind, the messages of these stories aren't just limited to children but for all ages and this is the main point that I wanted to get across.